- It takes approximately 1 million years for a glass bottle to break down in a landfill.
- In the U.S. today, 34% of all glass containers are recycled.
- Most bottles and jars contain at least 25% recycled glass.
- Glass never wears out - it can be recycled forever.
- Recycling glass saves 25-32% of the energy used to make glass.
- Glass containers save 9 gallons of fuel (oil) for every ton of glass recycled.
1 MILLION YEARS? That's a really long time. Lets have a look at some creative ways to reuse glass:
Jar etching for decorative feature
Image and words c/o recyclart
"Glass etching can be incredibly beautiful, but often it is done with a caustic chemical, which is bad for the user and the environment. This recycled jar was etched with a dremel tool, and results in a organic yet beautiful finish. This jar shows an etching of the Hokusai’s Wave."
Square Plates made from reclaimed window glass
Made by Recycled Glassworks; handmade glassware upcycled from discarded window glass in the San Francisco/Bay Area.
Sea Glass Necklace
Image c/o The Grizzly Squirrel
Beautiful necklaces handmade using sea glass* handpicked from beaches in West Wales, NE England, Cornwall and Devon. Environmentally friendly, eco-conscious design.
*Sea glass is glass found on beaches along oceans, bays, rivers or large lakes that has been tumbled and smoothed by the waves, water and sand, creating smooth, frosted shards of glass * wikipedia
Baby Food Jar Snow Globes
Image c/o Frog Goose and Bear
Turn your finished baby food jars into snow globes!
Why buy new, when you can buy recycled? Coming soon ... www.recycled-market.com